Tuesday 13 March 2012

Review: Sharon Van Etten


Sharon Van Etten - Tramp (Jagjaguwar)
I didn’t read the press sheet that accompanied this album. I didn’t need to, and here's why: when I wake up my morning rituals are usually carried out with BBC 6Music playing in the background. That means the breakfast show of Shaun Keaveny on weekdays, and Nemone's early morning show at the weekend. Both have heavily featured Sharon Van Etten this past week. Later in the day I occasionally catch a bit of Lauren Laverne's show, and Steve Lamacq; maybe Marc Riley too, in the evening. Her music has appeared on all of these shows recently. Consequently I am just one of loads of people who are now familiar with the track "Leonard".

6Music are playing it a lot, which happens with some tracks. I’m not averse to this, as it isn’t BBC Radio 1, which kills tracks off with an overplay policy, which has been implemented since the inception of that station in 1967, and the best thing about 6Music is that they do make space for some really interesting people (on both sides of the mic). Still, it does create a familiarity with certain songs, and certain performers and as I write, Van Etten is being featured by Nemone on her show, revealing her 'Most Played' tracks.

My point is that all of this attention just has to add up to success for Van Etten, and I’m absolutely delighted for her, What can I add, other than besides "Leonard" there are eleven other equally sublime tracks on “Tramp”, all of considerable beauty due to the writing and their singular delivery. Gorgeous music from the heart and soul, and yours for the taking.
http://sharonvanetten.com/
Kev A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.