Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Isle of Wight Festival changes to avoid mud chaos

Changes have been made to the Isle of Wight Festival's access routes and car parking in a bid to avoid a repeat of last year's traffic chaos.

Heavy rain at the 2012 event left the main car park waterlogged and hundreds of cars were unable to enter the site.

Promoter John Giddings has pledged double the amount of parking spaces, as well as asphalt entrances to the Seaclose Park site in Newport.

He said what happened last year would "never happen again".

Mr Giddings added there would also be separate festival traffic routes on the island this year.

Stranded ferries

"What happened last year was we had a month's worth of rain in 24 hours and the car parks just became inaccessible - that will never happen again," he said.

"To avoid a repeat, there will be twice as much car parking space and there will be proper roads at the entrances and exits."

Traffic queues at the site last year also meant ferries became stranded in the Solent because they were unable to unload any more vehicles on to the island.

Queues of cars stretched to the ferry port at Fishbourne and many people were forced to spend the night in their cars.

Acts performing at this year's festival, which runs from 13 to 16 June, include Paul Weller, Emeli Sande, Jake Bugg, and Blondie.

Source: BBC

Thinking of buying something on Amazon? Kindly use the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.